The 2018 Kiwanis Club’s holiday ornament – now on sale throughout the Racine area – features the iconic Kewpee Sandwich Shop in Downtown Racine.
The Kewpee hamburger chain was founded in Flint, Mich., in 1923. The chain of diners, known for burgers, fries and root beer, had more than 200 locations at its peak before World War II. The Racine Kewpee was the chain’s second location to open in 1926. Today, it’s one of just five Kewpee restaurants remaining – all in the Midwest.
The colorful brass ornament is $10. Sale proceeds go toward the Kiwanis Holiday of Lights display at the Racine Zoo, 2131 N Main St. The lights may be viewed each evening from late November through Dec. 31 along North Main Street.
The Holiday of Lights is a community activity of the area’s Kiwanis Clubs – The Kiwanis Club of Racine, the Kiwanis Club of West Racine and the Kiwanis Club of Greater Racine. Volunteers maintain, set up and take down the elaborate display that stretches for several blocks.
The annual display is funded by donations and the sale of a custom designed ornament. Previous ornament designs since 1999 have included the Wind Point Lighthouse, North Beach, the Fourth Fest Parade, Kringle, Frank Lloyd Wright-designed architecture and the Holiday of Lights.
The 2018 Kiwanis ornament may be purchased ($10, cash please) at Kewpee Sandwich Shop (of course!), 520 Wisconsin Ave.
Other ornament sales locations are:
- Castlewood Restaurant, 2811 Wisconsin St., Sturtevant
- Catrine’s Barber Shop, 1658 N. Main St.
- CRB Insurance, 500 Wisconsin Ave.
- DP Wigley, 234 Wisconsin Ave.
- Dover Flag & Map, 323 Main St.
- Lee’s True Value Hardware, 1950 Taylor Ave.
- Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts, 306 Main St.
- Racine Heritage Museum, 701 Main St.
- Real Racine Visitor Center, 14015 Washington Ave. (Hwy. 20), Yorkville
- Sew ‘n Save, 3701 Durand Ave.
- Sausage Kitchen, 1706 Rapids Drive.
- Victory Lane Car Wash, 5310 Washington Ave., Mount Pleasant
Limited quantities of past years’ ornaments are also available. For more information, contact Ollie Nielsen at (262) 412-5746.