BY KATIE MATTESON
Happy 37th to us! No, not our wedding anniversary and certainly not our ages (heck, our kids are much closer to 37 than we are). It’s our 37th issue of the Belle City Magazine! Yep, you’re reading Vol. 4, No. 1.
Every month is a new creation and we’re fond of each and every one, but there’s something super special about the beginning of each new volume.
We hear from readers frequently that they keep a copy of every issue and have established full-fledged collections. My personal archive is in a 3-inch binder that is now officially full. Seems like a good time to start another one.
With the arrival of summer comes a great time to get out and experience your hometown and this issue of the magazine will give you lots of great ideas.
- Learn about Racine’s rich industrial and architectural heritage with a Heritage Walking Tour, offered by the Racine Heritage Museum on Saturdays through Sept. 1. (Page 4)
- Go for a Scavenger Hunt in Downtown Racine and see all 33 hand-painted benches that are part of this year’s public art project. Answer 25 questions correctly and receive a $5 Downtown Racine Gift Certificate. (Page 9)
- Visit the Racine County Visitors Center to pick up a copy of the Racine County Activity Guide and other information about local and statewide attractions. (Page 20)
- Enjoy the great variety of entertainment options, like the Starving Artist Fair (Page 7), 24th Annual Cigar Dinner at the Racine Zoo (Page 8), Live Music at Smoke’d on the Water (Page 8), Live United® Gala (Page 17), First Fridays (Page 19), Live Music at The Nash (Page 20), Downtown Racine Art Walk (Page 23), Society’s Assets Open (Page 24), Belle City Biergarten, Hot Summer Nights and Movies in the Park (Page 28)
- Check out this month’s 10 Great Things to do in the Belle City in July for even more ideas.